Your home. Organized.™ Your move. Easier.™
Serving the entire San Francisco Bay Area | Gayle Grace, 510-654-7983

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Vitamin and medication storage

A common issue with clients is where and how to keep vitamins, medications and over the counter drugs.  Everyone seems to have a different opinion about this.  I find these items in some of the most unusual places in people's home, generally depending on whether there are children in the house.

Vitamins and onions or vitamins and glue... which do you prefer?

If there are children, all of these items should be treated the same way, and locked away.  Anything a child can swallow is dangerous.  One of my clients spent a tough day in an emergency room with a child that ate an entire bottle of the candy type vitamins for kids.

Studying the Internet I find that a cool, dry, dark, safe location in your house is where you are suppose to store these items.   They are not suppose to be in the refrigerator (unless, of course, specifically instructed to keep them there), or in the bathroom medicine chest (like the refrig, too much temperature fluctuation).

Additionally, they should not be transferred into other containers to keep them from being contaminated or losing the instructions.

However, I don't know too many people who will remember to take their vitamins or meds if they can not easily see them to be reminded to do so.

For myself, living alone, I do keep my over the counter meds in the bathroom medicine chest.  I'll risk cutting the life span of my aspirin for the convenience of being able to find them in the middle of the night.  And I do transfer my vitamins into somewhat decent looking containers and keep them on the kitchen counter, in the light of day, so that I actually take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails